Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Never make it through committee...

Potential thesis topics inspired by the radio on my drive to school today:

  • Beyond Mere Imitation: A Performer's Guide to a Successful Cover
  • Madonna, Train, and the Signifying Soy Latte
  • Use of the Bitwise Sequence in "Unskinny Bop"
  • What's in a Name? Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, and Starship on the Road to Mediocrity

Anybody care to volunteer as an outside reader?


house progress: Other than getting the massive load of dishes out of the sink, not much.
what's for dinner? Chicken-prosciutto tortelloni (made by Biutoni) and Italian tomato sauce (made by me back in September)

5 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger tommyspoon held forth...
I'll bite, but promise me I won't have to listen to any of that stuff... 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Hugh held forth...
How about The Use of the I-IV-V-I Progression and Its Variants in Popular Music: A Short Survey?

Britney vs Christina, A Brahms/Wagner Redux?: The Uses of Rivalry in Techno-Pop

"Why doesn't VH1 play any songs I know?": An Analysis of 146 Straight Hours of Watching Cable. 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Alison held forth...
tommyspoon - How 'bout we restrict it to the "covers" one, then (although I am damn proud of the bitwise sequence thing). Some quality stuff there, and at least some variety...

Hugh - That last one could easily turn into Why doesn't VH1 play any songs? from what I've seen.

Another one that recently came to me was Jingles: Why the Anti-Sell-Outs Keep Selling Out. Inspired by "You Get What You Give" being used in a car ad. At least they weren't hawking sheets... 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Swankette held forth...
If you do the "covers" one I can help provide you some songs that must be included to show both success and failure in the medium. 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous held forth...
How about:

We Are the World/Do We Know It's Christmas: Live AID, USA For AFrica, and the reification of transatlantic colonialism through cheezy pop

We Are the World?!? Isn't that the same claim the Bush administration's making right now?

Do they know it's Christmas? Probably not, because, well, many of them are MUSLIMS who don't celebrate it.

Sheesh. Stupid pop stars, anyway (though ya gotta love Bob Geldof)

MCMC 

Post a Comment

<< Home