Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Eighth Wonder

First, a caveat. I have not seen Peter Jackson's King Kong (although I have seen both the original and the 1976 remake with Jessica Lange). It may be a really good movie. I will almost undoubtedly find out, as Joe's response to the trailers has been something along the lines of "OOOOOOH! Monkeymonkeymonkeymonkeymonkeymonkeymonkey!" I think this is mostly because of the Mighty Shmoe Pong-T-Rex battle, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I, Mighty Shmoe Pong Dare!

Anyhow, all that said, here's my major beef with the new movie: Peter Jackson either needs better editors or he needs to start listening to the ones he has. This film is, from all the reviews, a very "faithful" remake of the original 1933 one with Fay Wray. Only it's longer. Lots longer.

Almost an HOUR AND A HALF longer. The original was 100 minutes (104 for the restored version, according to IMDB). This one is 187 minutes - over 3 hours long.

I cannot for the life of me imagine what Peter Jackson could have added to King Kong to necessitate adding that much material. Maybe he added an intermission in the middle, during which they show Chicken Little?

Note to self: do not order the Big Gulp size.

3 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger lemming held forth...
Check the film's credits - perhaps Miss Cleo was a consultant? 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Alison held forth...
Not sure I get the joke, Lemming (although anything involving Miss Cleo makes me giggle). 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous held forth...
Peter Jackson's work with the LORD OF THE RINGS triology is a tour de force! I'm sure almost everyone agreeds to that but King Kong? Let me see...OOOOH...do we really to burn our hard earn dollars just to see King Kong dropped dead at the end of the movie? Have they done justice to the monkey's and gorrilla's in our midst? The only saving grace here is the superb acting of Noami Watts and that Academy awardee--Adrian Brody! 

Post a Comment

<< Home