Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Well that's a plus...

Note: this post was originally begun on August 11, but was not posted until now for reasons that will soon become patently obvious. Also, those of you who are concerned about Too Much Information may wish to skip straight to the bottom.


Many months ago, Joe and I started trying (again - long story) to have a baby.

Three weeks ago, my Ob/Gyn informed me that I was only ovulating every other month (not in May, yes in June, not in July, etc.), and that when I was the eggs were not viable. As a result, my likelihood of conceiving a child without medical assistance was not good, and he recommended Clomid. After the initial shock wore off several days later, Joe and I decided we'd give it a try, but not until after he'd had a check-up and I'd grilled my doctor about all the possible side-effects.

Four days ago, I realized I was 4 days late. In all the to-do about not being able to conceive, I'd completely forgotten when I was due. Confused, I bought a three-pack of home pregnancy tests, carefully dodging a guy I knew as I went to the Kroger checkout. Home, take the test, occupy time with attempting to repair a downspout while checking the clock constantly.

Two minutes later, a definite plus-sign on the test.



The next morning, I took a second test, and Joe and I waited for the results together, although we didn't need to wait long. The plus sign appeared after only a few seconds this time. I stopped to take a blood test at the doctor's office on my way to work, just because it seemed so implausible.

By Wednesday, it was official.

I am pregnant.

Moreover, I was pregnant when I sat in the doctor's office being told that I wasn't likely to get pregnant. Which means I was also pregnant when I had that drink, and when I sucked down caffiene trying to get home from ball games awake at 3am ... oops. Luckily, I've been reassured that everything is pretty well-protected at this stage of the game, and as long as I steer clear from here on out everything should be fine.

Doesn't give one much faith in the medical profession (not that I ever had much), but I'm pretty pleased with my ability to overcome the naysaying.

As of right now, I am 5 weeks pregnant, or at least that's the best estimate. The baby is about the size (and shape) of a sea monkey, but it has started developing internal organs already. Sometime this week, its heart will divide into chambers and begin to pump blood.

So, to sum up for the squeamish, I'm pregnant, due end of April, and somewhere between thrilled and terrified. Joe periodically gets this sort of dazed look on his face and says "Eep!" Each of us has had one substantial freak-out, but the first round seems to be passing. I'm certain there will be more.

And very soon, I will have two hearts. Which may be about the most poetic way to describe this whole business.

Since writing this initially, I have gained not only an extra heart, but an extra liver, spleen, and appendix. Yes, it's a totally pointless organ, but the appendix is one of the first to show up on the scene. Odd In exchange for this bounty, I have given up my regular sleep schedule and the ability to wear a belt. I'm not showing yet, but my waistline is non-existent so it's just a matter of time. It's public news at school, and so far everyone is taking it well, even if I do occasionally feel like a walking sideshow. All in all, pretty nice.

garden progress: Put in a makeshift raised bed (it's just interlocking pieces of 1x10, slotted together Lincoln-Logs style), and finally got my Brussels sprouts seedlings and a bunch of mums in the ground. I am hoping the former have enough time to bear fruit.
house progress: Making a list of everything that Really Needs To Be Done Soon. It is Massive.
what's for dinner? Well, on the night I first wrote this post, it was WillyBob's barbecue. Best Q in Ohio (which I know sounds like a paradox) and it rocks. Tonight it's a whole lot more mundane - leftovers, and maybe some homemade baba ganoush. It's "clean out the fridge" night.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Mick held forth...
Hooray!

I love it when we ob-gyn types are wrong!

BTW, this is why I NEVER tell anyone they won't get pregnant etc... also the ovulating every other month isn't predictable, no matter how many ovaries a person has.

Nancy and I are very happy for you both. 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Alison held forth...
Thanks!

Just curious (and feel free to take this to email if you like) - as one of those "ob-gyn types," how often do you work with certified nurse-midwives? I've been rather stunned at how completely the entire medical profession in Knox County has rejected the idea... 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous held forth...
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger tommyspoon held forth...
Gosh, we are so happy for the both of you! Yay!!! 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Mick held forth...
I have worked with CNM's in the past and in general find them to be wonderful professionals. In the military there were a lot I worked with (over 90% great) and in private practice I worked with three, of whom one was great and one was so-so. These first two I worked with left to run Curves franchises. The other one was OK, until we found out she wasn't calling me when there were bad things happening, and also we were paying her more than we were getting paid ourselves for the same work.

So, generally CNM's are great, but as with every profession, there are good and bad eggs. In a small community like mine or in Knox County, there are also financial considerations. 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger TeacherRefPoet held forth...
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You ROCK!!!! Congrats!

(Word verification: dnyfkg. Just seemed appropriate...) 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Alison held forth...
Thanks, everyone!

My question about CNMs relates to the fact that in Knox County there are none. Actually, there are several, but they cannot practice, because none of the OB/GYNs in the area will work with them (it seems to be on principle, rather than based on the specific qualifications of the individual midwives).

This leaves three options: the full-on hospital experience at Knox Community, drive an hour to Mansfield, Newark, or Columbus, or work with one of the many direct-entry midwives in the area (and get eternal grief about this choice from your doctor).

It's a very frustrating state of affairs.

Nonetheless, we are both very happy and excited about the whole thing :-) 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous held forth...
To quote the name of an Australian wine the Wife and I had the other night:

Woop Woop!

Congratulations and Good Luck. 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous held forth...
HOOOOOOOOOOOOZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

This is so great, and the world seems like a slightly better place than it did ten minutes ago. Many, many congratulations from Anna and Sarah and me. I cannot wait to welcome your child into the world.

pax
MCMC 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger lemming held forth...
In teh immortal words of Erma Bombeck, pregnancy is a woman's chance to help God with a miracle.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! 

Post a Comment

<< Home