Friday, April 14, 2006

Springing up in the garden

Life has been exceedingly busy. Spring quarter is well underway, and the gamelan ensemble I play with has a concert (technically an "open rehearsal") on Saturday. Our former guru Henry Spiller has been in town all week, and I fear we are running him ragged.

Anyhow, I decided that I needed to make sure I recorded at least some of the activity in the garden, even if I cannot spend as much time as I might like out there.


The woods are covered in daffodils.


Sorry 'bout the blurriness. These little violets cover most of one of the beds next to the patio, although there are also one or two clumps of daffofils. The yellow and blue are a really nice combination. As you can see, I still need to clear out some dead leaves.



We have two magnolias. The white generally blooms a few days earlier than the pink, but I don't know if that's the result of location or the particular variety.


Hyacinths smell yummy.


Like Don over at Hands in the Dirt, I firmly believe that a wild forsythia is a happy forsythia. The ones that have been shaped into perfect squares always make me vaguely sad. The spray of pink behind the forsythia is a cherry, I believe.


This is the back line of our property. It seems to have been Ed's attempt to emulate the Dumbarton Oaks look, and I am happy to keep it going.


And, possibly the most exciting to appear in our garden over the last few weeks:

STEPS!!!
Yes, boys and girls, we can once again use our front door. Tom will be painting sometime soon (if it stops raining), and I've planned two raised beds to go on either side of the steps. Very exciting.

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger lemming held forth...
Don is a sweetheart of a guy - so glad you like his blog. He also makes a truly dangerous dessert, proof of greatness. 

Post a Comment

<< Home