Tuesday, June 21, 2005

State-by-state rundown

Since TRP mentioned his state tally, I figured I'd take one of my own. To wit:

States in which I have lived:

  1. Iowa
  2. Maryland
  3. New York
  4. Ohio
States in which I have spent significant time (regular vacations, etc):
  1. Delaware
  2. Michigan
  3. North Carolina
  4. Pennsylvania
  5. Virginia
  6. Washington D.C (Yes, I know. Federal Enclave. Whatever.)
States I have visited:
  1. California
  2. Florida
  3. Georgia
  4. Illinois
  5. Indiana
  6. Kentucky
  7. Massachusetts
  8. Nevada
  9. New Hampshire
  10. New Jersey
  11. South Carolina
  12. South Dakota
  13. Tennessee
  14. Texas
  15. Utah
  16. West Virginia
  17. Wyoming
States in which I have slept, but not much else:
  1. Wisconsin (we may have done something else, but I have no recollection)
States I have only driven through en route elsewhere:
  1. Connecticut
  2. Possibly Idaho (I cannot remember our exact route from California, and the old map we had seems to have been buried somewhere)
  3. Minnesota
  4. Vermont
So I am missing 19. This summer I get to add Washington to "States Visited" and Colorado to the "stop-through" category. With the exception of Rhode Island and Maine, I have the eastern seaboard pretty well covered (although I wouldn't mind upgrading Connecticut and Vermont). I'd also love to get more of the southwest covered, and improve my midwest rankings. Alaska is a long-standing wish, if I can only convince Joe to do it.

A few places may just have to stay in the L column, though. I cannot for the life of me come up with a good reason to just drop in on North Dakota.

garden progress: half mulched and deer net put up
house progress: Doesn't look like much else will happen before the Chicago expedition
what's for dinner? Perishables

4 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger lemming held forth...
Visit North Dakota while en route to Canada perhaps?

I dream of visiting De Smet, SD, partly because of LIW, but also because I have no other reason to visit the Dakotas.

(Now I'm self-jinxed and will only recieve job offers in the Dakotas.) 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Alison held forth...
I actually had to double-check that De Smet was not in ND before I made that statement, because I have the same wish to visit there. I think the only thing we really saw on the first trip through was Mount Rushmore.

Perhaps a visit to De Smet as a celebratory "finished the dissertation" trip? 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Joe held forth...
I'm not stopping you from going to Alaska. I'm just pointing out that no one's ever been eaten by a polar bear while watching Northern Exposure reruns.

De Smet? Humongous freaking globe, and you pick a place populated by people willing to live with the name De Smet? Maybe on the way we can hit Schmutz and Blargh. 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger tommyspoon held forth...
Ok, I relented. 

Post a Comment

<< Home