Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Greatest Movie Quotes

A few thoughts on the AFI list of 100 greatest movie quotes:

  • I love The Maltese Falcon as much as the next person, but should it really make the top 20 for quoting Shakespeare?
  • I prefer the extended version of #41: "My name is Bonnie Parker and this is Clyde Barrow. We rob banks.
  • A handful of these really require context to be meaningful.
  • Although I am thrilled to bits that Moonstruck even made the list, there are a lot better quotes from it (I am thinking specificially of the "I lost my hand!" speech, "You're a wolf," and "Don't get married, Loretta - it don't work out for you.")

And, last, but certainly not least:
  • What in blue blazes is "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" doing on this list?


garden progress: Just thanking the powers that be for the rain last night
house progress: Look - a monkey!
what's for dinner? Asparagus, maybe some greens, leftover strawberry pie

4 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger TeacherRefPoet held forth...
Not the best Airplane! line, either.

"Cigarette?"
"Yes. I know."

Did you break down and get the monkey butler? 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Alison held forth...
I think perhaps "quote" was defined as being only said by a single person. It's the only thing that explains "who's on first" attempting to stand alone, and the complete lack of the great "I love you" "I know" scene from The Empire Strikes Back.

Oh, and ix-nay on the utler-bay. I'm holding out until Joe's irthday-bay. 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger TeacherRefPoet held forth...
Nope--

AFI's "Airplane!" quote is an exchange from two people. "Surely you can't be serious!" "Of course I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley." 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Alison held forth...
Ah - so it is. Weird. Oh well - I guess the real reasons to have these lists is so that people can debate them ad nauseum. 

Post a Comment

<< Home