Friday, July 22, 2005

Exactly where you were on the day...

This meme (grabbed from Lemming) has been an interesting exercise in "wow - I've come further than I thought." Rather nice for a Friday morning.

What I was doing 10 years ago:
I was living in Rockville with Joe, and working at The Catholic University of America in their accounts payable office, mostly processing travel vouchers for people who seemed to have far more interesting lives than I did. It had started as a temp job, but in the interest of getting health insurance and the like, I took the massive pay cut involved in working full-time. I was in oodles of debt. I had started my very first personal web page - a skill that got me out of accounting and eventually out of CUA altogether. I was also gearing up for tech week on She Loves Me, my last (and favorite) production with Wildwood Summer Theatre. In a few weeks, Joe and I would adopt Gus, the younger of our two cats.

Five years ago:
Still living in Rockville, working at Fenestra (on the late and unlamented RollCall project) and just back from my honeymoon in Dublin. I seem to remember that I was in the throes of writing thank-you notes and getting pictures developed. I started my first blogging experiment a few months later, but nobody read it except for me and my cousin Doug.

One year ago:
Completely stalled. My mother was visiting, and the Knox County Fair was going on. It was a Very Bad Summer™, for a number of reasons. I was drinking too much and smoking too much, and didn't like my life at all. Several of my friends had taken up blogging, but I didn't know it yet, and wasn't reading them. I had completely dropped work on my own blog, because I just didn't have anything to say.

Yesterday:
Got up and went walking with Jessica (this is a first - we're planning on making it a regular thing, but it was pouring rain this morning). Took Gus to the vet for blood work to check his white cell count. Tried to get some work stuff cleared up so that I can be ready to leave Fenestra in a bit over a month. Bought a new dress for TRP and Swankette's wedding (how is it that I still seem to have only black dresses?), and had a lovely dinner date out with my husband. Celebrated the fact that, after losing 8.2 pounds in 6 weeks, I can actually fit into clothes again, without going for the shapeless tent look.

And now for the analysis, because I just can't not analyze. Where I am now is definitely miles ahead of where I was 10 years ago, especially in terms of career and finances (I'm actually in more debt now, but at least I have a house to show for it). Five years ago seems pretty idyllic, to be honest, and one year ago was undeniably hideous, but one tempered with the other is what got me to yesterday.

So I guess I'll take it.


garden progress: Two more Hungarian Wax peppers picked, the basil is loving the rain, and (if I can find the recipe), enough tiny little pickling cucumbers to start cornichons.
house progress: Bills paid, one bag of stuff thrown away, and a large box recycled.
what's for dinner? Leftover chicken paprikas (perhaps with extra peppers).

2 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger lemming held forth...
since yours is/was the wedding, I stand (sit) honored. :-) You were a truly BEAUTIFUL and HAPPY bride and it was an honor to be there. 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Alison held forth...
Why thank you :-) With two weddings to attend in the coming days/months, I am having some nice flashbacks to that time. 

Post a Comment

<< Home