Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Breaking Up is Easier to Do than I Thought

Effective today, I am officially broken up with the guy who cuts my hair.

(I realize many of you just read that sentence and decided this post was Not For You. That's ok - I understand. Go look at some Viking Kittens or something.)

It's not that there was anything wrong with Trent - he was a perfectly delightful guy. While he trimmed away, we would chat about the work on the house, his latest trip to Florida, or 80s pop music. We shared a love of Madonna and the Pet Shop Boys. My hair always looked good when he was done. The relationship worked.

I started going to Trent because Harlene recommented the salon he worked for. At the time I was contemplating getting my hair cut VERY short, and didn't want to chance it on just anyone. There were a few introductory visits, and by then I felt comfortable letting him whack a foot+ off my hair. Any of you who have had very long hair (Lemming?) know how important that is.

Of course, a few months after chopping my hair off, I decided that, while it looked nice, I was still, at heart, a Long Hair Person, and began growing it out again. Trent was there with me through all the nasty in-between styles, and was totally worth both the drive to Columbus and the higher-than-average price. When he took a leave of absence, I got a little card suggesting one of the other guys at the salon. I went to him, but it just wasn't the same, and I was thrilled when Trent returned and actually called me to make sure I still wanted to be one of his clients.

As my hair grew longer, though, Trent and I saw each other less and less. Hair that needed to be cut every two months could wait much longer, and I found it harder to justify an hour drive for a trim.

The last time I got my hair trimmed was December. It is quite long, and I like it that way, but recently I noticed the ends were getting scraggly. So, this morning, I dutifully called the salon to make an appointment with Trent.

He no longer works there.

Was he working for one of their other salons? He was not. I thought about asking if Trent had gone to work for a different salon, or if he had finally moved to Florida, like he had talked about occasionally.

Instead, I told the girl thank you, and hung up the phone. She wasn't going to know what happened to him - the blank stare on the other end of the phone was audible. I was momentarily hurt that I was no longer a regular enough client to warrant the little card. But of course, we had been growing apart for quite a while now, and it was time to move on.

Must go now. I have an appointment at A Cut Above (the new place behind the Village Market) for a trim. Walkable, and half the price.

I don't feel even a little guilty.


garden progress: Joe and I got about 2/3 of the gigantic rocks out of the front garden over last weekend. We are both still sore.
house progress: The windows in the living room are now painted white, and the grilles are in the top half. We are still deliberating putting them in on the bottom too.
what's for dinner? Probably take-out, as we'll be picking up Gus from the vet after choir.

4 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Swankette held forth...
Good luck! I find it much easier to test out new hairdressers with long hair rather than short, as it's much easier to disguise the screw-ups.

A truly great hairdresser would understand your infrequency of visits. I followed mine to a new salon, AND she understands when I cheat on her (being 3 hours away, she knows it's nothing personal).

I need to make the break and find someone local, but my hair won't be in a spot to try someone new for several months yet. 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger lemming held forth...
No no no no no no!!!!

A Cut Above wrecked my hair and I had to have six inches cut off to salvage my mane by someone who actually knew what they were doing.

(Ask me in person sometime about Lee's hair for Miss Firecracker, also done there.)

I once had a stylist named Trent who loved the Pet Shop Boys. He was great. Then he was unexpectedly arrested and spent a year in prison. Does your Trent have tattoos on his legs? 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Alison held forth...
Quick update:

The woman at A Cut Above actually did a pretty nice job on my hair. Of course, the woman who did the cutting was probably only about 8 when Lemming's hair got butchered... (I think they may have undergone a change in ownership since the move to Gambier, too). I am curious - what did they do to you, Lemming?

Unfortunately, within a few minutes of my sitting down, she had run over to turn off the CD of "Stop Making Sense" that was playing. Quoth she with disdain in her voice:

"The woman who was working before me - she's much older, and she really likes 80s music."

*sigh* 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger lemming held forth...
Short version (no pun intended): instead of trimming my split ends, she created them. Some of my hair could be saved, but not all.

Losing an inch then and another six three weeks later was... (shudders at the memory) 

Post a Comment

<< Home